When I was young, my very young father and my barely-older-than-me brother would wrestle around on Saturday mornings while watching WWWF (it wasn't always WWF or WWE) and some NWA television shows. They were tame back in those days.
This isn't so much about wrestling as it is about spending time with my father and brother. You see, my mother wasn't into wrestling as much. Her father, my grandfather, was a pretty active watcher of wrestling. I can remember watching it with him also, before he died when I was young.
Now, as I got older, wrestling with my father wasn't going to continue. I was getting stronger and bigger, he was getting older. It became a thing in the past that we did. Kind of like fishing or something. I still do things with my father, but just not the same things. Nothing wrong with that, as we're both adults (although our wives would argue that point) now.
As a father with a son, I find the exercise of wrestling around with him a joy, much like my father must have with me. Although my son doesn't have a brother, he has a younger sister that joins and revels in the fun of being (gently) tossed around the room by their father. A bonding experience to say the least.
So wrestling is fake and it's dangerous. The homoerotic, choreographed, underwear-clad, muscle-bound, comic superhero wannabes are laughable at times. But they do serve a purpose. Entertainment for family to bond. Much like a circus, rodeo, monster truck jam, or hopefully what most of you do, go to a museum (gasp!)or other culturally significant place (double gasp!).
So you might make fun of wrestling, but then again, I can make fun of off-roading or whatever you do with your kids. The point isn't to find humor in what others do that you do not. The point is to see that bond being created and nurtured. Good luck parents.
No comments:
Post a Comment