Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Superman Reboot again?

A warning to everyone, I'm a heavy movie watcher. I get Netflix to deliver DVD's to me and I watch them during my lunch at work. It's a good way to decompress. As such, I get to see a lot of movies (an hour lunch means that I get through most movies in a couple of days). So you'll see a lot of references or comments regarding movies, movie news, blah, blah, blah.

Which brings me to news of Superman getting another go. Good news, Christopher Nolan is involved apparently. Bad news, we don't need another reboot. Again, Hollywood just can't leave it alone. Amongst rebooting or remaking of several movies, they make movies on retarded (yes, the "R" word) toys. Battleship anyone?

Back to Superman. OK, he is the most well-known (at least in the US - most of the world doesn't know about him or very little) comic character in existence. True, Nolan resurrected Batman (probably the second best known) but I'm just looking for another Batman movie to tie up things and I want Nolan to move on. I read a comment somewhere (I think Pajiba) about they shouldn't reboot, just continue the story. I agree in some ways.

Honestly, I'm tired of ass-sucking directors. Make a modern version of Superman dammit. Black suit, maybe graying in the temples and a more tired and grizzled version. How about a Superman that has been a boyscout and began to lose faith in the goodness of people after losing Lois Lane and/or Jimmy Olsen. Now 20-30 years later hs shows signs of the weight of constanly saving people and the Earth. Explore that option. Doesn't have to be a "darker" version, just a more realistic version. I get tired of supporting dummies and it shows on my face and manner. I'm not "dark" necessarily, just tired and a little worn out.

And for the sake of sanity, no Luthor. At least not as a main villian. Go with Brainiac (not Superman 3 version either - yes, that giant computer near the end was Brainiac) like the cartoon series. Or even like the one in the image to the left. That's a Brainiac I would be scared of. Plus I could see him/it as a viable threat to Superman.

Come on Hollywood, don't rehash old stuff, if you plan on using characters from the past, then update them properly. I don't want to see an origins story. I can see Richard Donner's version, or the countless animations, comics, books, folklore, ask any nerd or just wiki Superman.

I hate you Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment